Rogers Piano Services | Battle Ground, WA 98604 | 360-907-0684
 

Some fun piano history we thought you might enjoy...

 

The giraffe piano was invented in Vienna and first appeared around 1798

 
 
Rogers Piano Services | Battle Ground, WA 98604 | 360-907-0684
 
 
"Giraffe-style" piano, an upright piano in Biedermeier style, by Gebroeders Muller, c. 1820; in the Centraal Museum, Utrecht, The Netherlands. Courtesy of the Centraal Museum, Utrecht, The Netherlands
 
 

The Frederick Historic Piano Collection

 
Thanks to generosity of many supporters, the 1890 building is being leased from Town of Ashburnhamand and houses the Frederick Historic Piano Collection. The Study Center can seat twenty or twenty-five people for master classes, lecture-recitals, workshops, seminars, panel discussions and such. The regular Concert Series, serving a larger audience is held at the acoustically superb Ashburnham Community Church, just up the street. Calling this a study center, rather than a museum, emphasizes the fact that this is a musicians' and music lovers' resource, illustrating the relationship of composers' works to aspects of sound and keyboard response typical of the pianos known to them.
 
 
"These are pianos to be heard, as well as seen.
 
Background Science.
 
The Study Center is open year-round to the public for tours. The Fredericks play appropriate musical selections on the various pianos, to demonstrate specific qualities available from each, also providing information on prominent builders and elements of piano construction. During the tour, visiting pianists, (amateurs, professionals, or students,) may be invited to try playing specific instruments, to discover for themselves what musical effects are available, and how different keyboard actions respond to the touch.

The Frederick Historic Piano Collection is a non-profit organization. For information on how you can help support the Historical Piano Concert Series and/or The Historical Piano Study Center, please contact The Fredericks at (978) 827-6232 or by email.
 

Square pianoforte..Erard Freres et Cie. Paris, France...1808

 
Between the 18th and 19th Centuries, Square Pianos became the most commonly used keyboard instruments in European homes; they were late replaced in the late 19th Century with upright pianos. Made in 1808 by the famous French maker Erard Frères et Cie, the instrument resembles a clavichord in that the wrest-plank lies to the right while hitchpins tie the other end of the strings to the back of the instrument. The piano employs a "single action" mechanism—the hammers are positioned vertically with respect to the piano keys. Because the hammers swing on leather hinges, the player must exert sufficient force to activate the hammers, a requirement that discourages soft pianissimo playing. It is signed- "Erard Freres et Cie., Rue du Mail 337, a Paris, 1808."
Research: Christopher Dempsey
 
square piano
 

Muzio Clementi, 1805, London. This heirloom piano flaunts painted flowers and line inlays.

 
Muzio Clementi 1805 London  
Muzio Clementi, 1805, London. This piano helps to explain matters of compositional style in Haydn's "London" sonatas: Haydn, living in London in 1794, wrote his three last piano sonatas in an idiom particularly suited to English pianos of the time, and took a Longman & Broderip piano with him on his return to Vienna. When Longman and Broderip bankrupted in 1798, the composer Muzio Clementi, a major shareholder, became a partner in the reorganized firm, which became known as Longman, Clementi & Co. In 1801, Longman left to establish his own business; the present piano, made in 1805, bears only Clementi's name. This instrument is decorated with painted flowers and line inlays.